Friday, January 19, 2007

In the bleak mid-nineties



Quickspace - Rise

Compiling a top ten list of 2006 for this blog turned out to be a pointless activity. Tight fisted by nature, I refuse to spend more than £5 on a record, though in truth I get narked if I have to fork out more than £2.70. New releases and contemporary sounds are forbidden to me, and I spend my days clogging charity shops aisles and second hand racks, buying records I missed the first time around, now lurking in obscurity.

Quickspace, then, and 1996. What was I doing in 1996? Can’t remember. The entire year gone from memory. What I do remember is hearing Quickspace before ‘Rise’ came out. It was winter at the end of 1995, forever night time and we, I think, perpetually drunk and smoking Regals. Liam returned from a weekend in Newcastle with a cassette he claimed had been given to him by a dancing Chinese man. It had ‘Superplus’ by Quickspace on it and it was the best 15 minutes I had ever heard.

I don’t know what ‘Rise’ sounded like in comparison to the rest of 1996’s musical output, which I can’t recall, but I can have a guess. It probably sounded like a revelation. So why didn’t I listen to this at the time, and why didn’t you tell me about it? I blame you for this oversight. I saw you, in 1996 – you were wearing John Lennon’s specs, drinking lemon Hooch and putting your fists through window panes to romance women. It worked too. I saw you staggering off together into the gloom and streetlights. I never cared. They weren’t the sort of girls that listened to Quickspace.

Buy Quickspace from Norman Records
Search ebay for Quickspace
Unofficial Quickspace website
Quickspace tribute page at My Space

Lighthouse.