Friday, September 29, 2006

Thirty Three and a Third



Aphex Twin - Fingerbib
Skream - Midnight Request Line

Today is my 33 1/3 birthday – a monumental occasion in the life of any music lover, as it is of course the standardized phonograph recording speed selected for the long-play record. I actually got the idea for celebrating this vinyl-themed event from the late, great John Peel. His family threw him a party when he reached this landmark age, as they did when he turned 45. Sadly, he never made it to 78, but I’m sure that would have been one hell of a bash.

By way of celebration, I’ve updated the tracks on the TWNR Ghettoblaster, which you’ll find over on the right. Not sure how many of you use it, but there’s 10 fresh tracks for you to check if you so desire.

You’ll be surprised to discover I am also posting a couple of songs. Well, it would be rude not to. The first, ‘Fingerbib’ by Aphex Twin, is my favourite song of all-time. It is impossible not to have a smile on your face when this song is playing owing to the sublime, joyful melodies. ‘Fingerbib’ is exquisite, fits perfectly in your pocket, is universally loved by all and will be playing at my funeral. The album from which it is taken, ‘Richard D. James’, has yet to be bettered by anyone recording music in this field. If you don’t own it, what’s wrong with you? Redeem yourself and purchase it forthwith from the link below.

For the second track I’m whacking up something fairly new from a nascent genre which I’ve yet to fully get my head round. ‘Midnight Request Line’ is by Skream, a UK dubstep producer who is set to drop his debut album in a couple of weeks. I’ve had this track on my pod for about 6 months now, and every time it comes on, a big cartoon question mark appears above my head. I love it (I think) but I’ve yet to fathom why. I won’t embarrass myself by trying to describe it, so instead here is the review from Boomkat, who seem to know what they’re talking about – “‘Midnight Request Line’ is a spooked out riddimatic piece of bassline science, with an insanely catchy floating melody punctuated by a neckbreaking snare/gunshot combo and subsonic bassline perfection to drive your ass into the skank.”

Buy 'Richard D. James' from warpmart*
Pre-order the Skream album from Boomkat
Right Place, Right Time, Wrong Speed, one of the best John Peel websites on the web here, featuring an archive of past programmes

* 'Fingerbib' is listed as 'Fore Street' on the Warp Discography, but it is the same track, under a different name. I don't know why.

Joe.