Friday, July 11, 2008

Nothing To See Here...



Chapterhouse - Die, Die, Die

...except, ironically, today for the first time in bloody ages, there is. Well, something to hear at least. For those of you who've been so kind as to query my whereabouts, I'm still here! Parenthood, as expected, has taken over my life. Well, that and a job that requires me to use my brain and my time for something other than writing lengthy pieces for this blog. I've contemplated retiring - there's a new generation of bloggers out there with the hunger I once had - but I still need an outlet to share the music I love, so I'm here to stay. For the time being it will be sporadic if at all, but I'm sure I'll be back on my game in the not too distant future. There's another podcast in the bag awaiting mixing and all that, which should go up fairly soon. Plus I have been making endless playlists for forthcoming podcasts, and have a few special guests lined up. Thank you to all the people who continue to send me music - I listen to as much of it as I can, and promise that some of it will feature on here at some point, even if it is just in the end of year 'Best of...' post. There's some incredible music out there at the moment, I just wish I had the time to write the words to do it justice.

So, while I'm here, please enjoy 11 crazy minutes of Sonic Youth-esque guitar histrionics, courtesy of Chapterhouse. 'Die, Die, Die' was originally available on a limited edition 12" which came free with the vinyl version of their tremendous debut album, 'Whirlpool'. It was also scheduled to appear on the recent CD reissue of 'Whirlpool', but was pulled at the last minute owing to time constraints. This is proof Chapterhouse weren't just a bunch of pretty, ineffectual M&S-jumper-wearing-namby-pamby-Home-Counties-boyz - they could properly rock the fuck out. This kind of thrash lunacy is probably the direction the band should have gone in, rather than all the ambient noodling and insipid dreampop of their second and final album 'Blood Music'. I had this one cued to post a while ago when my computer died, but then I thought it was rather apt to accompany this post. No idea why.

I'll be back...

Buy the 'Whirlpool' reissue from Amazon
Unofficial Chapterhouse website

Joe.