Monday, September 04, 2006

Skeletal Wanks



Hardfloor - Into The Nature (South Of Detroit Mix By Richie Hawtin)

I read a great quote last year from a jaded clubber on his way home from the Winter Music Conference in Miami. Let's call him Lee, 26 from Plaistow. Lee said, "Don't get me wrong, I fucking love techno, but there's only so much you can take before it all starts to sound like a skeleton wanking off in an old tin drum." Or words to that effect. I sympathise with Lee. I also love techno, but having been on the receiving end of marathon 10 hour sets from the likes of Richie Hawtin and Jeff Mills, I would have to concur. As an example, I'm posting Hawtin's epic 12 minute remix of Hardfloor's 'Into the Nature'. There's five minutes of nowt but rattling drums and percussion before the first hint of a melody comes in, in the form of sampled hunting horns. The only other addition is a scowling acid line and much tweaking of levels to cause maximum mind marmalization. It's brilliant, but as Lee points out, there's only so much you can take.

And while I’ve got you here, what the fuck is going on with Richie’s hair these days? He used to rock the shaved and very techno bone-dome, now he’s got some Teutonic bleached blonde flick, which makes him look like he’s in the Scissor Sisters. Richie Hawtin-Tin? Bizarre.

Visit the Hardfloor website and My Space
Hardfloor discography
Richie Hawtin's Plastikman website
Richie Hawtin discography

Joe.