Saturday, October 28, 2006

Picture The Scene...



Adam & The Ants - Beat My Guest

...it’s 1981. I’m 8 years old. It’s Saturday morning and I’ve just returned from shopping with my Mum, where I went to Woolworths and purchased the 7” of Adam & The Ants’ ‘Stand and Deliver’ with my pocket money. On getting home, I race upstairs and play the A-side 5 times in a row until I know all the words off by heart, ready for the playground on Monday morning. For some reason, by now I’m only wearing my pants. I stick on the B-side. The guitars sound like a siren. The rumbling tribal drums of Terry Lee Miall and Merrick thunder in. The riff breaks out and I go berserk and start leaping about. I look for something to wield as a guitar. I locate a cricket bat. I leap around some more, riffing on the cricket bat. I am Marco Pirroni. I have no idea that the song is about S&M. I don’t even know what S&M is. I hear mention of a cricket bat and think, “That’s weird!?” I yodel along with the chorus. The song ends, Adam says something funny and I put the needle back to the start of the record...

Adam Ant's official website
Buy Adam & The Ants from at Amazon

Joe.