Sunday, April 15, 2007

Hungover: Requests and Re-Ups!



DJ Mink featuring 2wice the Trouble - Hey! Hey! Can U Relate?

I'm suffering with a stonking hangover on this fine and sunny Sunday morning, and feeling somewhat devoid of inspiration, have decided to deal with some of the requests that I've had on the blog over the past few months. I had previously decided not to do re-ups (is that a word?) but back in March Jimmy requested a "cheeky wee rehost" for DJ Mink's 'Hey! Hey! Can U Relate?', and seeing as it is such a belter, I am happy to oblige. Just the thing to rouse me from my bleary alcohol comedown.

Primal Scream - Carry Me Home

I posted Primal Scream's 'Screamadelica' a while back, which was lifted from 1992's 'Dixie-Narco EP'. The EP also featured a couple of songs produced by Andrew Weatherall at Ardent Studios in Memphis, Tennessee. Then, a few weeks back, a guy named Swiss Adam asked, "How about a posting of 'Carry Me Home', one of the great lost Andrew Weatherall tracks?", so here you go. It's a lovely, strung-out song, originally written by the Beach Boys' Dennis Wilson for their 1973 album 'Holland', which didn't make the final album.

Cable - Ring of Fire

Finally, way back in the mists of time before I was the master of my own Empire, I was a humble correspondent for the marvellous Spoilt Victorian Child. One of the posts I contributed concerned the underrated Derby hardcore punkers Cable (if you're interested, you can read it here here), and in the comments box a lad going by the name of Brent Vukmer asked if I would post the band's cover of Johnny Cash's 'Ring of Fire'. I promised that I would pop it up later on that week, and of course completely forgot. So Brent, on the off-chance you followed me over here from SVC, here it is. Better late than never, eh? As Simon Cowell would say, the band have definitely made this song, "their own". I love the pacing, and the pauses at certain points. It's a rousing rendition indeed, and though it may be sacrilegious to say so, I think I prefer it to the original... *hides behind the sofa*

Not sure if I'll do this again, but if anybody has any requests for songs relating to any of the posts that they would like to hear, leave a comment here, and if I have tracks in question, I'll stick them up at some point. Enjoy your day!

The original DJ Mink post is here, with more info about the track and a couple of links
Official Primal Scream website
Buy Primal Scream from Norman Records
Cable fansite
Cable at My Space

Joe.