Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Blatant Act of Self-Promotion



I know, it's been a long time...

But this time I have a valid excuse! I started a record label. Yes, laughing in the face of the credit crunch I decided to shove some of my hard-earned (or ill-gotten) cash back into the music industry. It had to be something pretty special to make me come out of my self-inforced record label mogul retirement (this is the third time I've done it), and they don't come any more special than Feedle. Regular readers will know that I've been waxing lyrical about Sheffield's finest purveyor of odd melodic noise pop for years, and when it seemed possible that he might like to release a record with me at the helm, of course, I jumped at the chance. Jumped so high I banged my head on the ceiling.

Ecke* Records was born...




Feedle - Picturedrome

The debut release for Ecke Records is 'All Your Days Are Weird', Feedle's wonderful second album, following 'Leave Now for Adventure', the history of which you can read about here. Over the ensuing twelve songs, it becomes evident that it is giant steps on from his debut. There is a greater emphasis on vocals, with proper big, shiny choruses and raucous guitars, but it still makes extensive use of synths and programming and the soaring electronic hooks that made Feedle’s name. Imagine a psychedelic sea shanty soundclash between Kevin Shields, the Orb, Plone and Syd Barrett. On a fairground waltzer...

It's actually been out since the 6th October, but I've been on holiday since then and have only just found any time to squeeze this post in. It's already found favour with Huw Stephens at Radio 1, who played the opening song 'Picturedrome' (following in the Feedle tradition of attention-grabbing album openers - 'Song for Dogs' anyone?), describing it as "wonky pop". That same song also featured on Huw's Radio 1 podcast. A few bloggers have picked up on it, but other than that it's all been rather quiet on the UK front...

But that hasn't been too much of a problem, as it's all gone loopy in Japan. Yes, as Alphaville once sang, Feedle is "Big in Japan." Obviously the Japanese have impeccable taste in music, and demand has been so great we've had to do a repress. Even record shops in far-flung corners of the countryside have been ordering it. Feedle's bigger than Shape Shifters in Japan - fact.

So, if you want to hear what all the fuss is about, go to the Ecke Records website (thanks to GS) where you can purchase the album for just £7.99, including postage to anywhere in the whole wide world. It's lovingly packaged in a digipack with beautiful artwork from Camilla at Cut Out and Keep. Following in a rich tradition of using album covers as a means for showcasing great art, there is no text to be found anywhere on the sleeve, just Camilla's sublime, absorbing landscape. This makes it fucking hard to find in record shops, but who cares about that when it looks so good? In my dreams there's a gatefold vinyl edition. Maybe one day... And keeping it in the family, my lovely wife designed the scribbly logo!

There aren't many copies left, so if you do want one, I suggest you get your order in quick. On the website you will also find a free five-track live EP called 'Go and Get Your Head Fucked', which includes old stuff, alternate takes on 'All Your Days Are Weird' songs and something exclusive.

As a final word, I like what somebody said about Feedle on the 65daysofstatic messageboard a few days ago -

"I reckon that Feedle will become one of them cult type figures. Like Ivor Cutler. Maybe after his death."

*Ecke means corner in German.

Buy Feedle 'All Your Days Are Weird' from Ecke Records
Or alternatively you can buy it from Norman Records - they liked it too!
Or if you don't buy CD's anymore, you can also purchase it from Feedle - All Your Days Are Weird
To hear a selection of songs from the album, go to Feedle MySpace
Feedle is also on LastFM

On Saturday it will be four years since the mighty John Peel died. There can be no doubt that he is partly responsible for my extreme enthusiasm and passion for music, ergo, Ecke Records would not exist were it not for he. I'll be raising a glass to JP this Saturday, I suggest you do the same.

Joe.